26288 at ECCLESBOURNE VALLEY RAILWAY, June 2005.
26288 was built in 1944 and was an 'R' Type J.A.P 6HP petrol engined version fitted with extra wide tyres to suit 23-24" guage. It was supplied new to Stoke on Trent Corporation, Newstead sludge disposal plant, Blurton Stoke on Trent. Rebuilt with Lister single diesel in 1971. Transferred to Burslem sewage works which had a tin rail system between Sept 1976 & Sept 1976.
Newstead 27/9/75, photograph copyright Dave Holroyde.
In 1967 it was returned to Lister's and was converted to single cylinder diesel power, as it still is today, and returned to work before being withdrawn in October 1975 and replaced by a Motor Rail in April 1976. Sometime later it was transferred to the Westport Plants Depot at Burslem where the canopy was removed. (to be fitted to 35811)
On a Copper Beech Railway ballast train.
Sold to Rich Morris between 8/81 and 26/3/82 and via Brian Gent to the late 'Copper Beech Light Railway' as CBNGR No.1 on 19/10/94 where it was run and worked on until it was fully restored and later sold to Rich Morris again via Brian Gent to pay for Hudson Hunslet HE6013/61.
Acquired by Nottingham
Museum Service, Woolaton Hall, formerly of the Nottingham Corporation Sewage
Works (NCSW) at Stoke Bardolph. The planned narrow gauge scheme was
abandoned and in June 2005 226288 was presented to the EVRA Wirksworth.
EVRA is the voluntary arm of Wyvern Rail PLC.
[Top] [Back to List] [Home]